Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Beyond My Scope of Education

I have never claimed to be a genius even though my mother swears I have an I.Q. of 145. Whatever. My autistic son has been tested and they tell me he has an I.Q. of 129 which according to the powers that be in the public school system is almost unheard of for autistic children. Again, whatever. I have encountered a problem that I really didn't plan for when it came to raising children. M-Boy is smarter than me and he is only 12 (soon to be 13). My daughter is in HONORS 9th grade math yet M-boy who is in the 7th grade uses the same book and seems to be going through the book much faster. He reads his textbook for fun. My daughter is no idiot when it comes to math. She really is bright but for M-boy it is like a second language that is so natural and flows through his being. I can no longer help either of them with their homework. Next year M-boy will be shipped off to the high school to attend math class since his middle school no longer has any class to support him. He has topped out there. How do I handle this. Mr. Daphnewood, a brain surgeon has even said our son is quickly going beyond his scope of learning too. He fears even the schools may not even be able to help him in the near future. Has any other parent out there encountered this?

4 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

Well, I'm not a parent, so I can't comment, but what a wonderful problem to have! It's especially good that M-boy has the option to go to the high school; I can't imagine my junior high would have allowed that (not that I ever needed it, mind you).

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Al said...

V. is 13 and reads at a college level. Like, the class project for Language Arts is "The Hobbit", which he read when he was 7, but he is so bored by it all that he is in danger of flunking because he just doesn't care. Same in Math, but since I am an Engineer, I still have a step on him. Soon however................

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

**hugs**

Missed you, friend!

I don't have the problem with Mindy... I wish I did. *sigh*

Just be happy they are interested in school work. :-)

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Whisper said...

This is probably late, but ah well. Mica will have places to go to extend his knowledge and I'm not nearly as bright as him, but I am fairly quick to learn. Although, the only reason my grades don't reflect that happens to be because of my lack of interest. I know Mica's brilliant in the fields of math, he told me my birthday, down to the day, giove him enough time he'll probably go by hour, minue, then second. Or.. That could just be my thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home