Friday, January 27, 2006

I Saw Death Tonight

I saw a woman die tonight. It was a terrible terrible tragedy. I witnessed a car accident that should not have happened at all. The woman that perished was waiting at her light. She was just idle, waiting for the light to turn green. She was two lanes over from me, one car ahead. No one was in the first spot between us but there was a truck in front of me and a car coming up to take the first spot of the middle lane. That is when a crazy woman plowed into the left lane. I swear it looked like she aimed for it.

I thought to myself "why is she trying to kill that person in the white car?" The car was pushed from the left lane all the way into my right lane, smashing the truck in front of me and crumpling up the dead womans car like a tin can. So many good people got out of their cars and tried to get the woman out. They lifted the van as much as they could off of the destroyed car. They couldn't get in from the passenger side either because of the truck. A nurse on the scene felt the pulse of the woman. It was weak. She stopped breathing before the EMTs arrived. The crazy woman who caused the accident tried to leave the scene but the police officers put her in the police car.

I sat in the front seat of my van thinking that I was just one car off from being hit. The old man & lady in the truck in front of me were taken away on stretchers. One car away. Then I looked at the van. It was lifted off of the ground and all I could see was the dead woman's hand hanging to the side from her stretcher. She would never hold her husband's hand ever again. She would never get to hug her children with it. I pray she is not leaving any children behind or a spouse that would be lost without her. She wasn't doing anything wrong. She was just sitting there. I guess I am just asking "WHY? Why did she have to die?"

6 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Chaos Theory, "God's Plan," everybody's got their own explanation. It's a shitty thing to go thru, and I wouldn't wish that scenario on anyone.

Back in August, when the rains from Katrina were pounding Ohio (I went home for a month), a kid just walked right out in front of my car. There was not a damn thing I could do. His hood was up cuz of the rain, my car slid on the water...fate conspired against us. When I looked at my windshield later and realized a teenage boy's head did that damage, it was definitely a jolt. Luckily, the kid was ok. I drove him to the hospital and they looked him over. A few scratches and a bump on his head, but he was basically ok. The police told me they weren't surprised at all, given how many other accident reports they'd filed that day. To this day, it makes me a more cautious, even nervous driver at times.

Sometimes these things just happen and there's nothing we can do about it. The key is not letting go of those visions, those sounds, those memories. We can't convey them fully to anyone, but they make each of us more aware of just how quickly things can go wrong, despite our best efforts.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

thank you so much for that Lord B. Yesterday, all day I was trying to keep busy, trying to keep my mind on other things and forget about that horrible accident. Maybe I am not supposed to forget it at all. I was very nervous (driving) when I went to the grocery store. I hugged my kids good-bye instead of just waving to them as I headed out the door. I am sure they thought I was crazy but you never know when it is your time to go. Thanks for putting some perspective on this for me. And I am glad you and the boy from your incident are okay.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Daisy said...

Hugs Miss Daph :)
I am sorry you went through something like that.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

Life can just suck somedays, can't it? I wish you hadn't had to see that or to have even have gone through that experience. Who knows why it had to happen, but tkae a part of it and apply it to your own life. (In fact you already have--you hugged and kissed you kids when you left for the grocery store) I truly believe that that is the best that any of us can do with any situation...we either take what we can from it and embrace what goodness we find or we can choose to let it continue to fester in our heart and devour our hopefullness. Someone once left an annonymous note on my car when my boyfriend was in a coma--it said "Everything happens for a reason, find the good in that reason and embace it." It never made sense at the time, but now I live by thse words. I hope your painful memories subside quickly.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Oh how HORRID!

This is weird, though. I have been thinking about just such a situation for several days now... watching someone get run-into at an intersection.

**hugs**

I pray that the raw memory of the whole scene fades from your mind and that you have peace in your heart.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger SunGrooveTheory said...

Oh, Daphne, I know it's selfish but I'm so glad you're okay.
Well, I certainly hope that other driver gets into trouble for whatever it was she was doing wrong.
I was watching a special on MSNBC the other day about the dangers of driving while distracted, while tired, etc. Driving while over-tired is just as dangerous as driving drunk. And I used to think nothing of it, I would just work crazy, long hours and drive anyways. I thought "I can survive on only a few hours of sleep a day." Ever since I saw that special, I make sure to get my 7-8 hours of sleep, no matter what I have to put on the back burner.
::shamefully:: I'm really a terrible driver, anyways. I haven't had an accident in over six years (knocks on wood!!!!!) But silly things always happen to me like cutting corners too close and running over the curb. Once I backed over a pole that was sticking out of someone's yard, for no good reason whatsoever except that I didn't see it there. So, I always keep my driving to a minimal. I realize the fact that I'm a terrible driver, so I just stay off the roads and don't drive unless absolutely necessary. I wish that lady had taken the same non-driving strategy.
Still, I'm really glad you're alright.
::hugs::
S.G.T.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home