Friday, September 23, 2005

Flashback Friday

I kind of got this idea from Larry's blog. On Fridays he posts a picture but since I post pictures at whim I decided on fridays I will post old pictures. It will be a flashback of some sort. So today, in a very weak effort to try to forget about Hurricane Rita threatening my friends and family, I'll start with a very old one and a not so old one.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is me and my older brother. I remember that fireplace vaguely. I remember that cushion too. It was there so anyone could sit comfortably. It looks so 70's doesn't it? No one really needs a fireplace in Southern California.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This one I am posting because it includes my uncle Jerry that passed away recently. This was my 19th birthday and how does my family celebrate my non-child status? They buy me a Beetlejuice doll. I also got a PeeWee Herman doll the same day. I noticed that my aunt had a 70's style couch even though this was taken in 1989. And I also noticed my hair was significantly redder than it is now. All the women in my family have hair that does that. During the late teens and early 20's it goes really light just to go very dark around the mid 20's. My mom and her sisters (the ones that never dyed their hair) have that too. I think my husband feels cheated since my hair didn't stay that color for very long. I always wondered why he called me a red-head when in my mind I was firmly brunette. So does anyone remember what they got for their 19th birthday?

15 Comments:

At 3:53 AM, Blogger Daisy said...

I remember... I got preganat with my 1st son! haha
I remember THAT day very well :)Probably the only time out of all the kids too, that I kow exactly when I got pregnant.
HAve a great weekend Daph :)
love ya girl!
xoxoxo

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Daisy said...

should say "pregnant"-- I can spell, i just get in a hurry lol

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

Yep, I remember 3 of my 18th birthday presents, actually. The first is a carry-on sized soft-sided suitcase, which has been to 5 continents and is still in use (and has the stains to show for it). It was to use on weekends home from the university dorms.

The second was a washcloth/towel set from a friend of the family who was also the attending nurse when I was born. It was to remind me of when she wiped my face in the delivery room.

And, last but not least, I got my first Barbie doll - I had joked with my Mom a short time before (we were at Toys 'R' Us at the time) about how it had negatively affected my personality that I never had one as a kid, so she got it for me as a joke gift (I believe my comment was 'too late', but I still have it and quite like it.)

And, either of those pictures could be from the house that I grew up in - I had never thought of it before, but we didn't really need a fireplace in Northern California either. Did you ever use yours? We did, but only a handful of times from what I can remember. Now, my Mom has a dried flower arrangement in it.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

at first I posted this and said this was my 18th birthday but then I started thinking that my hair started changing in my senior year of high school. And it was shorter so I knew then I had my books wrong. Call me senile but now I am wondering what in the heck did I get for my 18th birthday? I cannot remember. OH maybe it was my car. They kind of combined it with Christmas since I am a January baby

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

Well, I'm glad you changed this after I had written my epic. I have no idea what I got for my 19th birthday!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

oh Kim you make me laugh! I loved your comments. I cannot remember my 18th b-day to save my life. Isn't that odd? I wonder why it is a blank in my mind. I remember my 19th because this picture and the party that went along with it. I shared the day with 2 of my boy cousins. Who both happen to be in bands now. Hmmm...and I can't sing at all nor do I have any musical talent. It must early January babies that are talented. How is this for an epic? more like a novella, eh?

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

how cute you are! *meow*

I don't remember what I got for my 19th, I remember everyone being surprised that I didn't rush right to the bar (now that I was legal) I probably just went out with my dad or something for dinner, we weren't big on birthdays growing up.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although it was just a couple years ago I can't really remember what I got.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger tara said...

I can't remember anything I got for my 18th birthday.. and that was only a few years back..... daaaang now it's going to drive me crazy until I remember!

Do you still have the beetlejuice doll??

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Whisper said...

You happen to look a bit like Mousie. In the top one. ^^

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Whisper said...

Sorry, meant the bottom one, the comment box was blocking my view, Lol.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I haven't a clue what I got for my 19th birthday! That was soooooooooo long ago. LOL!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

An engagement ring. :-) Actually it was a month before my birthday and technically a Christmas prezzie, but hub was kind of lacking money after the ring, so it counted for both events.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

OK I'm January 29. What is yours?

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger The mini ninja said...

19, 19, 19...shit, I really don't remember what I got for my birthday! I'm honestly much bigger on giving presents than I am receiving them (aren't I just miss Christmas spirit, no but really). OH I remember! I was gone on a mission trip in New Jersey. I got a wonder woman pez and a face spritzer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home