Friday, September 09, 2005

Shoshanna

I went from anger last night to extreme sadness this morning. God Bless womanhood. My seven year old is in the second grade and he told me this morning that he got a new girl in his class. He said she is from "the hurricane". Her name is Shoshanna and this little girl has seen some terrible things. The teacher had each child tell a little about their lives so Shoshanna would not feel singled out but able to express anything she might want to share. Apparently she was in the sharing mood and my heart broke as my son told me all this little girl has seen. She said kids drowned because they didn't know how to swim. Her two cousins and older brother died. She told the class "those were my only cousins I had too". Then she talked about how a light post fell on her grandmother and killed her. I was in shock hearing this. My son described the girl as "very small with brown skin and a shy face". My only guess is that she was small enough to hold as some 7 year olds can be tiny still. Please pray for this little girl and her family. At first I was outraged that with experiencing so much trauma that she would be sent to school so soon. But then on second thought, the girl needs some normalcy. I don't see how anyone can "recover" from such an ordeal but hopefully she can gain some happiness back and live a long full life.

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

I think kids can get over things faster than adults can like this. Kids seem programmed to move forward, maybe that is a blessing.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Whisper said...

Yes, it is the little children that drive forward, I agree with you, Rowan. Little ones are always those who recover faster and keep innocence as well. ^^ That's where people usually get insparation, the little ones.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger SunGrooveTheory said...

Oh, thank you for the story, Daphne! Do you think you will invite her over for cookies? that would be nice...

::hugs::
sgt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home