Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Back Home

Well we made it back to Kansas in one piece and without any traffic tickets. I am still pretty tired but feel better today. It was cold in DC and here it is 70 degrees. I am loving my jacket free wardrobe!

I want to say that Little Man and I had so much fun on our adventure. Every American should visit that city at least once in their life. One week was not enough time for us to see everything so planning to see your favorite highlights is a good idea. I regret not getting to visit the Holocaust Museum but felt it was really inappropriate for Little Man. During our visit to the American History museum, Little Man saw his first picture of an abused slave. He was upset and questioning the reasoning all day long. He felt it was a huge injustice that anyone be whipped so bloody and badly. Isn't it funny how children understand this stuff instinctively? It took a civil war for grown ups to realize slavery was inhuman. I was proud of him but knew the images in the holocaust setting would be even more graphic so we skipped it.

The other thing I want to say is that native DC inhabitants need to take advantage of their surroundings once in a while. Our cousin that we stayed with has lived their for over 20 years and doesn't ever go into town if he can avoid it. I heard some people on the Metro train talk about "tourist trappings" in the city (meaning Washington monument, Lincoln memorial, etc.) and were really down on them. The Library of Congress was probably the most interesting building I went into the entire trip. You cannot check out any books and must be 18 to enter the reading room. They have an original Gutenberg Bible and Mainz bible (handwritten by monks) in display cases in the main hall for everyone to see. The building is a work of art in the purest form. The docent told us that the ceiling had been covered up for years because of security purposes but now technology allows them to expose it all and what a treasure it is! Our cousin has never stepped foot into the building. NEVER! That is sad. I encouraged him to go see it and showed him some pictures. He said he had no idea that the place was so ornate. Hopefully, he will go.

I have to get back to reality now. Today M-boy has an appointment with an otologist who hopefully will schedule the surgery M-boy needs. Have a great day all and I will catch up with your blogs very soon! Enjoy FAT TUESDAY


Image hosting by Photobucket




Image hosting by Photobucket

Pictures inside the Library of Congress

4 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger Al said...

I envy you your trip to DC. I have always wanted to go and spend about a week in the Smithsonian just to start out. I have an Uncle that lived in DC for years and tears, but I never got back there to see him. What a missed opportunity! The pictures are incredible.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

That is amazing. I must go, especially as I tend to worship libraries as it is. Wonderful photos!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

I have always felt the same way about The Library of Congress that I do ab. churches--it's is simply a place to be in awe of where you just stand in quiet reverence and that it is a place to be worshipped. I'm glad you had a safe trip back and good luck at the otologist.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Daisy said...

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!

I am thrilled to hear that you had such a good time. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home