Saturday, November 04, 2006

Movie Review: The Prestige & Grown Up Rock Stars

I liked this movie. You have to pay attention from the first frame of the film but it was worth it. Christian Bale just amazed me. This kid is far underrated as an actor. Everyone did a superb job with their roles but I left the theater sort of swooning at Christian Bale this time around. Not like a school crush or anything but just in awe. You should definitely check this movie out: The Prestige Don't read any of the spoilers on the message boards. It will ruin the film for you. Just go see or rent it when it comes out. You won't be sorry.

I also wanted to talk specifically about David Bowie. He was in this film. My gosh that man has changed. I loved David Bowie when I was a teenager (Kimananda, do I hear a "ditto!"?) He was freaky, repulsive to authority figures, charming to the youth and talented beyond anyone's expectations. But he was a rock star that behaved in rockstar fashion. I look at The Rolling Stones and U2. Those guys are still rockin' but sometimes they look like old men trying to recapture their youth. David Bowie still makes records and acts in movies but he looks grown up. He has accepted his age by redefining what it means to be nearly 60 years old. I couldn't get enough of David Bowie as I watched the film. When I get to be 60, I want to be like him. I don't want to be wearing fashion made for teens, acting stupid and forgetting all the lessons I have learned in life. Or maybe I am just full of crap. That is always a possibility.

8 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Blogger Craig Armstrong said...

I got to agree with you about David Bowie. You always got the feeling he'd age gracefully though. These days the title "musician" (or "actor" or "icon") would be a more apt description than "rock star".

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto!

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I enjoyed the Prestige quite a bit too, and I'm definitey with you on the Rolling Stones .. I think U2 still has some rockin to do, but Mick and his geezers are just embarrassing themselves

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coinkidincally, I saw Christian Bale last night in his breakthrough movie 'Empire of the Sun' by Spielberg at an age of 12 I think. He's a great actor and I loved him in American Psycho.

 
At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well ok, I'll admit I've been around a bit longer than you, don't ask me how much longer, and I have loved David Bowie since forever! He rocks and always has!

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Craig, I recently watched a yahoo video about U2. Bono referred to The Edge as a rock star. In fact, I remember many a times Bono saying that phrase over the years. It does sound odd now that you mention it.

Kim, I knew you'd agree he he he

Reel Fanatic, welcome! I think U2 still does awesome in the studio and on the stage. It is just that sometimes they forget to take the lessons they have learned over the years and apply them to everyday living. Bono is passionate about his charity work and that is admirable but then you see him acting a fool at some party wearing a grotesque fashion ensemble, hanging all over a runway model drunk as a skunk. Any other 45 year old married man and father behaving that way would be scoffed at.

K, I love that movie Empire of the Sun. I would say it is in my top 5 movies of all time. I think that is why I still see Christian Bale as a kid even though he has to be 30 or so. One movie I haven't seen of his yet is Batman Returns. Isn't that weird? I think I will buy it. Even if the story sucks you know Christian Bale will do a good job with the acting.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Vickie, Bowie is awesome. After writing this post, I looked up how old he was and he will be 60 next year. His wife who looks like she is 30 is in her 50's! Man, I wish I had that kind of youth elixir.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, when you got that kinda jack I guess you can look as good as you want!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home