Friday, October 20, 2006

A Scary Event

In 2003 a friend lost his life to a horrible freak elevator accident. He was a good man with heart for Christ. He was loved by those who knew him. I won't go into details but his death made me afraid of elevators. I had a hard time getting into and out them for a very long time. Still to this day I get an anxious stomach if the elevator does not work like clockwork. Today was one of those days. I was at a parking garage and the tiny elevator had 4 adults and two small children in it. They were kind and held the door for me. The man said "come on in, there is room". It was nice of them. The two ladies with the small children were going to the 2 floor. The man and his wife were going to the 3rd floor. I was heading to the 5th. The elevator skipped the second floor then went to the third. The door would not open so it went back the second floor. We tried holding the "door open" button but the elevtor was making strange sounds and would not do anything it was supposed to. I almost got to a panic-point but the elevator took off to the 5th floor. One lady suggested we hold the button down and not let go at all. We did that and after much groaning and jerking the elevators door slowly opened. Of course we had to step up about 8 inches to get out of the elevator but all of us could not get out soon enough. It was horrible. I notified security ASAP but the event left me a little shaken.

4 Comments:

At 4:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

****hugs****

I am so sorry about your friend. What an awful circumstance, and then for you to have fear afterwards... it's such a shame.

I DETEST escalators, though I think it's because the flights are so long and I get dizzy looking up.

I had a bad experience with an elevator in Chicago at the Hospital, though. My sis and I were going to see Rob after his surgery. We got on the express elevator, apparently. It went up 13 floors in about 5 seconds. I was SURE it was going to be like Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. UGH!!!

Also, that's the reason I don't want to go up into huge buildings like Hancock or Sears Tower... not necessarily because of the height, but because of the elehator.

(hug)

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww Daph, that is awful about your friend. Where I work, our old elevator system always screwed up. I got stuck once and that was the last time because after that I learned to take the steps. I only use elevators if it absolutely cannot be avoided and then I'm in panic mode till I can get off.

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally see why you'd get the heebie-jeebies about elevators! :-o

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Al said...

I hate elevators, and Mrs. A. hates ecsalators. We walk a lot of stairs.
Unfortunately this experience will only serve to confirm your fears.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home