Monday, January 08, 2007

Movie Review: Children Of Men

I did manage to get out this weekend with the ol' ball and chain. Just joking. I love my snuggly hubby and cherish any and all spare time we get to spend alone. We went to see Children Of Men starring Clive Owen and Claire-Hope Ashitey (for those of you who keep up with things like that). It was directed by Alfonso CuarĂ³n (see above). A brief synopsis: Theo is asked to take Kee, a pregnant girl, to the coast in a future world (earth 2027) where women can no longer have babies in hopes for preserving mankind. Now, my first reaction to the film was that I didn't care for it. I was depressed and sad from watching it. But then it happened; I couldn't stop thinking about the movie all day long. I even dreamed about it. Yes, the subject material was uncomfortable but the journey is about hope. And really, I think the film spells that out for everyone. People suck and the director captures that beautifully. However, deep down, people have a good side and there is always hope for that good side to emerge. That is a message of the film. That is what haunted me and wouldn't let me sleep. Overall, that isn't such a bad thing to be haunted about, is it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home