Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Happy Moments In My Life

FindingHeart wrote about happy moments in his life to shake off some lingering blues he is having. I am accepting his broad tag because I too feel like focusing on some happy thoughts.

1. When Mr. D and I were dating, we went to a place called Builder's Square. They used to have them in Houston but it was kind of like a Home Depot. I was bored to say the least. He lifted me up onto a wooden desk and I sat there as he talked away about his hopes and dreams. He said "Someday when we are married...." I heard nothing else. He didn't even realize he said it. I kept quiet about his slip of the tongue but later that week he asked me to marry him.

2. I remember my Daddy sitting across from me at a restaurant, kind of acting emotional. He told me he loved all of his children. Even the ones that give him problems. I said I knew he loved us all. Then he looked at me with tears in his eyes and said "you, you are my heart and C. (my brother) is my right arm. I would be nothing without you two." That made me happy because I feel like I neglect him sometimes. I don't mean to but I don't get to spend nearly enough time with my father.

3. When M-Boy was diagnosed with autism I was heartbroken. I was afraid of how his life would be. He didn't talk anymore. He lost all of his words. He didn't laugh or smile nearly as much as he used to. He was fixated on repetitive play. I was laying down on the couch while 3 year old M-Boy was taking the lid off of this box and putting it back on, over and over again. I started praying and God showed me M-Boy's mind, like I was right there thinking his thoughts and feeling his feelings. All I could feel was happiness. M-Boy was happy! At that point I knew autism wouldn't be that bad. As long as M-Boy was happy, so was I.

4. Mouse's first word was "Mama". She was a just 6 months old but she stretched out her arms for me to pick her up and said "Mama!" And she did it in front of people. They were amazed that such a young kid said something. I know I was amazed. I floated around for weeks in happiness that "Mama" was her first word.

5. The first time I ever let all three of my kids visit their grandparents in CA was murder on my nerves. I had let the older two go because they were potty trained, could speak, could get something out of the fridge if necessary, etc. But Little Man was only 2. I don't know how my mom talked me into it but I said they could all go. I never felt such happiness seeing all three of their weary bodies piling out of the airport terminal, running to me with their arms outstretched waiting for a hug. What a great feeling.

So there it is. Some happy moments of my life. Tag to anyone who wants to think happy thoughts.

2 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger FindingHeart said...

Nice. I remember how happy I was when Mancub started his first words, Daddy among them. I beamed, even after the silly nurse said that, developmentally, 'daddy' is usually spoken before 'mommy'. Eh, I took it anyway. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home