Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Halloween Costumes

Little Man had a choir concert last night at his school. It was Halloween themed, of course, and the little kids looked so cute. There is one thing I want to address. What is up with parents dressing their kids in totally stupid costumes that no other kid would understand? You expect to see princesses, spiderman clones, the latest Disney craze, etc. But you always get one or two weird costumes that fit an adult's humor and not a 6 year old kid's humor. The winner costume in this category for me last night was a boy dressed up like a WWF wrestler with Elton John as his designer. This kid had yellow pajamas with purple sequins and a huge purple "O" on his chest. The costume also had a purple cape and purple sequin head band. Can you guess what he was? He was Captain Obvious. Kids kept asking him "who are you supposed to be?" He would tell them as the kids looked at him like he was a freak and the boy's parents just snickered. Talk about lowering your child's stock. I felt so bad for that kid. So there are 50 million Darth Vaders and Batmans. Let your kid be what he wants to be as long as it is appropriate. I had to add that because I had to shut down Little Man's choice to go as Foamy the Squirrel. Can you imagine this ball of gray fur with his middle finger extended? "Trick or Treat you bastard. Give me some candy or I'll stab your eyes out!" yeah, not a good idea at all.

6 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger kimananda said...

I don't know which to comment on first, your halloween post, or the game. I'll go with the post first...

My Halloween costume was always based on what we already had available, which meant I was either a princess (basically I wore my 'dress-up' pink dress and Mary Janes) or a fairy (same as above, but an added 'wand' made of a dowel and one of those shiny bow things you put on presents). And then there was the year I chose to dress as my art teacher - I borrowed her smock and wore it. No one had a clue who I was, and didn't seem too impressed when they found out.

And the game: :-( But I still think they can do it!

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

I actually fell asleep and just found out they lost. Well, that just sucks. If they dig themselves out then this will be the biggest hole they got out of yet. But if Boston can do it, why not Houston? Those people got their money's worth tonight, eh?! 14 innings!

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Um... who is Foamy? I'm so embarassed.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

hmmm, I dunno. At least it was creative right? Hmm....I personally hate seeing all the same old boring costumes. I wish Halloween still stood for something scary or unusual....to me, Disney doens't say halloween...not in the least.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger portuguesa nova said...

lol!!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

I added the Foamy links for those who wanted to know about the vulgar squirrel. And I want to clarify that the child dressed up like Capt. Obvious looked longingly at the batman costume. His parents forced this creation on him. They should have let him choose. JMO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home