Saturday, November 05, 2005

Songs That Take You Back

Spencer posted on his blog the 5 top songs that take him back to his glory days and asked his readers to make their own list. After much thought, I came up with a list that evokes very distinct memories that aren't necessarily "good". Music has always been a big part of my life in good times and bad. So here is my list of songs that take me back to some point in my life.

In no particular order

Red Rain by Peter Gabriel- this song I can feel in my bones. I can smell the ugly shag carpet in my teenage bedroom and taste diet pepsi. This song also makes me want to sketch since I did that alot in my youth listening to Peter Gabriel.

I'm Not the Man I Used to Be by FYC (Fine Young Cannibals)- this song was playing when I had my first sexual encounter. Not really a good memory but not really bad either. 'nuff said on that one *blush*

Boys of Summer by Don Henley- I can see the faces of my friends as we drove home from a day at the beach. It was our last trip down there before school started and we were a little sad. We had the windows rolled down and this song was playing.
Nobody on the road
Nobody on the beach
I feel it in the air
The summer's out of reach

I'd Be Better Off (In A Pine Box) by Doug Stone- Mr. Daphnewood is an excellent singer. He would sing this song to me before we were married. This takes me back to my first summer in Texas with the katydids chirping in the trees and bright stars against a black sky. I knew I was in love.

Down On Me by Aslan- Not many of you will know this song. It is by an Irish group that I watched live in an outdoor plaze in Dublin. I was 18 and the city was celebrating its millenium birthday. When this song plays, I remember a singer shaking my hand from the stage, I can smell strawberry ice cream and beer. It was a very happy time. This song makes me feel hopeful for some strange reason.

There are so many songs that evoke emotions, memories and even smells. These are just five that I can think of right now. Anyone have any songs that do that to you?

8 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

These are great songs (well, those that I know are, haven't heard of Mr. Stone's work). Wasn't it difficult to choose just 5 songs, though? I'm not sure I could do it, myself.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

oh yes, there are way more than 5 but I was just listing some that bring back specific memories, not a general memory of youth. Doug Stone was my first introduction to country music. I am not really a country music fan but if you marry a Texan you better get used to listening to it once in a while ;)

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Jack and Diane - John Mellencamp

Can't fight this feelin' anymore - REO Speedwagon

Love Shack - B-52's

More than Words - Breathe

Hold on to the nights - Richard Marx

Yep those are some oldies!!!!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger HanktheDog said...

So many songs from my childhood, most of them just too embarassing to list.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

What about Margharitaville or Cheeseburger in paradise by Buffett? I knew the first three songs you listed and the were great-I used to love all of them!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Jay, I like Jack and Diane and I have an OLD album that says "John Cougar" not John Mellencamp. Crazy, huh?

Hank, thanks for stopping by. I went to your blog and I was very amused. I bet you like that song "Feed Jake"

Spencer, I am guessing Milli Vanilli? Is that right? If so then it's safe to say we don't really know who sang it, do we? The first famous lip sync scandal!

Etchen, I try to like Jimmy Buffett. I really do but I only enjoy a couple songs by him. He is more my husband's style. My husband is like Spencer when it comes to music: If it has a decent tune he'll sing along.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

oh yeah! Music is my essense of life:

1) Bridge over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
My mom and dad used to harmonize this together in the car. I remember especially when they knew I'd been hurting from a breakup and they sang it to me.

2) He Stopped Loving her Today - George Jones
This'll always remind me of my daddy and my mom. No truer words could be said for him, but besides that, george was his very favourite entertainer.

3) She's got You - Patsy cline
The saddest breakup I'd ever experienced. Somehow I found this song healing at the time.

4) Heaven - Bryan Adams
My first real love - this was our song and it takes me back to a time of innocense and chaste love and a time of firsts for everything.

5) Anything by Fear Factory.
Reminds me of partying days with a gang of "friends" (oh brother) that I no longer have anything to do with, but at the time it was fun.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger janet said...

hey daphnewood,
i had to check out your blog after you posted on mine (which thanks for the comments!) i noticed on your profile that bad by u2 was your favorite song EVER and i agree!!!!

i also love boys of summer and it takes me back to a late night drive for star-gazing and a little kissing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home