Monday, October 31, 2005

A Sad Topic

Have you heard about the girl who was taken from her parents when they refused to follow up chemotherapy with radiation for her cancer treatement? Anyway here is the link to the Houston Chronicle if you want to read such crap. I do not think the state has the right just to take a kid away and choose the method of treatment. I am very anti-immunization in some situations and appreciated that my doctor understood my fears. She allowed me to hold off until Little Man was past 19 months old because I really felt shots gave M-boy autism, or rather activated his susceptible genes. Who is the state to say which treatment is best or to demand the path you desire for your children? This family had every right to choose the health care for their child. But I have to comment on the Father's comment

"Radiation's effects on a child are a lot different than they'd be on me," said Edward Wernecke, 53, Katie's father. "It could shape her whole future ? make her sterile, stunt her growth, cause her to get breast cancer in her 20s. The effects would be with her the rest of her life."

This is such bullshit in my opinion. At least the girl would HAVE a rest of her life. The path they chose KILLED this little girl. What crappy parents. I am very sad and pissed off. I am sure they will blame M.D. Anderson and the doctors there for killing their girl but the truth still stands. If they would have given her the radiation in a timely manner this girl might still have lived. Now they aren't even getting to spend the girls last days together. That is a tragedy that needs to be rectified NOW.

3 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

This pisses me off....
I think Child Protection Services, or CAS or whatever should become non-existent. They already don't help those that need it, and they seem to tear apart families that don't need nor want their "help". I am still furious over my last run in...because we changed her doctor's appt (my husband had to work) that was being negligent in our duties as parents and therefore not providing medical care, and therefore, she now has to be in group therapy (ordered by them but not ordered by them if u follow) that none of feels is helping in fact, might be making her more of a hooligan. These are real tough kids...she's in a therapy group to teach children at risk of going to juvenile hall how to better handle situations.

Ya know how the saying that you learn to be a crook when you are in jail? I feel this way about this program. We are a nice, middle class family. These people they've thrown us in with are the dregs of society. The moms seem like crack whores and the kids are a close step behind. No wonder these kids are at risk, but how come we get thrown in there? Non helpful. The mental hospital's intake staff says that there is nothing wrong with our daughter and that to put her under review would be a waste of their time, but they still have us on a waiting list because CAS is determined that S is crazy as shit. I really do loathe these people, really! They seem to get satisfaction from fucking with us; right down to the smug grin she had on her face the entire time.

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a sad case indeed. At this point I am all for that child to be returned to her parents--she should have her last days with her family.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

What a complicated, and at this point no-win situation. And how sad for the girl. But to keep her from spending time with her family now is just cruel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home