Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Buck Rogers Then and Now: What was I Thinking?!

When I was very young I loved the TV show Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. I was a little apprehensive of the robot I called Twiggy (I recently learned its name was Twiki) but adored Dr. Theopolis (the robot face around Twiki's neck). My mom bought me the complete series on DVD. She spoils me rotten. Anyway, I started watching the opening movie last night while scanning some files and let's just say that the show is not what I remember.

Buck was strong and a hero in my 10 year old eyes. He was smart, funny, good looking and I couldn't wait to see his next adventure. He was honest and caring about planet Earth. He was a victim to an unfortunate accident that sent him through time away from his family and home. Those were my convictions when I was 10 years old.

In my 36 year old eyes, Buck Rogers is a smart ass. He is a womanizer and the women of the show are not real women. No woman would say "Oh Buck, I can be every bit of woman that the princess can and I plan on showing you from now on." What?! I expected the special effects to be cheesy. It was 1980 after all. I expected the costumes to look odd. I expected the story lines to be outdated but my gosh, the man was a PIG! I still will watch the show because I am fascinated at what my mind remembers and what I see now. I totally did not get the sexual innuendos in 1980 but I get them now. Yeah, Buck Rogers thinks he is a real ladies man. He is still good looking but a guy who acts like that would never get a date these days. Well, at least I hope no one would go out with a womanizer like that. You never know.

4 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

It's name was Twiki? I thought it was Twiggy too (wasn't there a famous model named twiggy? I used to have the biggest crush on him--ohhhh how I thought we could get married. I have tried not to watch some of the old shows I liked as a child as I find the exact same thing happens. These strong hero of my youth are nothing more than shovanistic, womaninzing arogant jerks. (Though, I don't know if you remember "Maude" or not, but that and Golden Girls are the only two shows from my youth that i haev ever looked back on and thought that I didn't appreciate them enough the first time around.)

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger James Skala said...

I had the same experience watching some of my fave TV shows when they recently came out on DVD. Those innuendos totally went over my head when I was younger. Now, I can't believe that those shows even made it on the air. The curse of adulthood, I guess.

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

i haven't seen this but i know what u mean some things i watch as a kid that i thought was cool when i watch it now its like what was i thinking.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's because you're brainwashed. In the 70s a guy that looked like that could say almost anything and a lot of young ladies would probably fall for it. These days an attractive woman could treat YOU like a pig and have YOU groveling on all fours begging for more even as she takes you to court and makes you pay half your income for life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home