Thursday, August 17, 2006

A Bright Spot In A Tragic Event

I have been thinking a lot about 9/11 lately. I haven't seen the movie World Trade Center yet and I still might be brave enough to go later this week or next. I know we all have our stories of that day. I don't think a single person in America was left untouched by the horrors whether or not we had a loved one trapped in those buildings or on one of the planes. But my thoughts keep going back to the actual day and the days immediately afterwards.

I sat there and watched the towers collapse on TV and cried. So did a lot of newscasters. I kept thinking about all of those people who were in the buildings when they fell and the people on the street that it could have fell on top of. But then I saw it in bits of news clips. People were helping anyone they could. No one cared if it were a man, woman or child that needed help. No cared what color of skin they had. No cared about their religion or lack of. No one cared which political party they belonged to. No one cared about anything superficial like that, only that they needed help. No one even cared if the people were citizens or not. People were helping and going out of their way to bring anyone they could to safety. To preserve life. And sometimes just to offer a comforting hug or a shoulder to cry on.

Why does it take some tragedy like this to bring out the best in people? It is sad yet it is so comforting to know that we still have humanity deep inside of us. We might not show it every day but we have heart. I am a patriot but today I say God Bless Humanity not just America.

5 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Rick said...

We see the same behavior in Iraq, Lebanon, Israel, and a dozen other places every day. People, occassionally, act like human beings.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

I haven't been personally affected by that tragedy whatsoever, but it affected me in that it's so close to home, that I was on a plane coming home from Mexico not 5 days before and I felt for all the people like you did. Alot of people seem to be reflecting on tragedies lately on the blogosphere, some northern bloggers were recently thinking about the blackout 3 years ago.

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You nailed that one on the head! Right on, Daph!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Al said...

You definitely got to see the best and worst of Humanity all at the same time. People evrywhere are just folks trying to get along, but sometimes the bad ones get the upper hand. That doesn't keep the rest of us from doing our damndest to square the ballance.

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home