Friday, August 18, 2006

This Must Be My Week For Golden Questions

Little Man asked about zombies and now M-Boy had a question of his own.

What is cybering?

What to say? M-Boy is advanced in so many areas but in many ways he is still very child-like. So my first question was "where did he hear that term?" Every autistic individual is different but a lot of them love rules; they need rules. M-Boy plays at neopets.com and decided to read the entire 'terms and conditions' page. Who does that kind of thing?! Anyway, apparently neopets doesn't permit cybering or romance on their site. Well that is a relief but it piqued M-Boy's curiosity. I am open about sex with my kids but he just didn't understand why people would want to talk about sex through typing. Even Mouse didn't know what cybering was and she is 15. She just blushed and said "that's gross". M-Boy laughed hysterically. At least it was a humorous lesson, right?

5 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything's better than having your MOM ask about cybering. My niece said that one of her friends doesn't have a boyfriend IRL but she's always cybering with this guy from NYC. My mom wanted to know what that meant and I sort of brushed her off. And then she asked again and I told her and she was so taken aback.

My mom is such an awesome person, but so incredibly naive` and in her own world about some things. I understand why she's this way, but it cracks me up and sometimes makes me uncomfortable.

Oh well.

Your kids are so awesome. Thanks for sharing their stories!

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Daph, that was a hoot. I'm with Jayeigh! Thanks for sharing your stories!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Scout said...

It's always a balancing act, trying to figure out what they can understand at each different age. It's good that you're open now, though, because it will make it easier for everyone as they grow up. I'm thinking they won't hide things from you.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger James Medhurst said...

Cybering - that's a new one on more. Either I am incredibly naive or it is an American term.

And, as a lawyer, I think reading terms and conditions is a good habit for your son to get into.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

I must confess, I don't know what cybering is either. :-o

 

Post a Comment

<< Home