Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving From A Pilgrim's View

First let me say, Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate this holiday. In recent years, America has been in an uproar over our traditional holidays like Columbus Day (massacre of native Americans) Christmas (not inclusive to all religions) and Thanksgiving (the beginning of atrocities to Native Americans and theft of their land). I read this article about school children getting a different view of Thanksgiving. I am a bit angry to say the least. So people want our 6 and 7 year olds to know that Pilgrims were the bad guys. Pilgrims and Indians were at war with each other. That is a much different view from the past. However, let me say I think history is focusing on the good point of when two different cultures actually put their differences aside and had a feast together. Why is this a bad thing? Why is it criminal to teach our children that it is okay for people of different faiths and cultures to like each other and eat together? Instead, we want to teach them, your ancestors were bastards and didn't mean it when they said they were thankful for the help the Native Americans gave. Young children see things in black and white. They will only see "good guy" or "bad guy". They cannot understand the complex nature of colonization. Let them first learn goodwill to all people. Eat the feast kids. Later, when you are older, you wil learn not everything is easy as good vs. bad.

5 Comments:

At 5:09 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

happy thanksgiving mom!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Rick said...

Politics aside, I think it's a good idea to reflect and give thanks, once a year (Thanks-giving), to whichever fate or deity one prefers.

On the political side, our ancestors weren't bastards, they were idiots... on a campout without beer (or any other supplies).

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

just saying hey, i just wrote on my blog after months of nothing haha. hope you're well!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Ryan, Happy Thanksgiving! *smooch*

Rick, I love hearing what my kids are thankful for. Every year everyone says prayer and it always amazes me what they say. Mica was thankful for his brother and sister this year. That is progress!

Lisa! hello! I just took you off my blogroll because you dropped off the face of the planet. I will add you right back up very soon. It is good to hear from you. *hugs*

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Al said...

Thare is always some cynical sancitmonious $%^&*( out there trying to rob our children of their childhood. A POX an them I say!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home