Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I Guess I Did Miss Some Good Stuff


Often I have written about the lack of television in my home. Ever since M-Boy was born we haven't had network television or cable. And when Mouse was born we only had AFN in Berlin and crazy german stations so I can say that I have not had regular access to television shows since 1989. About 3-4 years back we start purchasing DVD's because my mom had moved in and missed watching TV. She had heard "24" was good so she bought it and loved it. I didn't watch along. I just wasn't interested. Then she was craving more so I picked up CSI for her. I did watch this time and fell in love. Since then, we have purchased every season of every CSI city there is. I admit I take pride in the fact that I missed the whole Ross/Rachel fiasco of Friends (never seen a show in its entirety) and that Beverly Hills 90210 means nothing more than an address to me. But then my mom handed me these four little boxes a few weeks ago with a label slapped across in bold white letters "The Pretender". She said " [Daphne] I think this is one show that you would enjoy." So I gave it a shot. I am a freaking addict now. How can you not love a man who eats pez regularly? Or a woman who knows how to use a gun better than any other guy on the show? Why is there only 4 seasons of this show? I haven't got past season 2 yet so maybe it takes a downward suck spiral in the next 2 but I know once I finish these 4 boxes I will feel empty. I am mildly but pleasantly surprised that network television had something to offer to a girl like me. Next time you all tell me about a TV show, I promise I will listen. I might not watch but I will definitely understand how you feel. Now if you will excuse me, Jarod and Miss Parker await.

8 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Rick said...

You absolutely must get all seven seasons of "West Wing", the best-written tv drama EVER. I can watch them over and over and still catch innuendos I missed the last time.

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...is this the time to admit I've seen every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I'd highly recommend it, anyway.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

^.^
i really enjoyed that show alot, sept i haven't seen all of season 3... yet

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the autistic brother, and that Miss Parker and Jarrod are sibs. And that Sidney likes that Jarrod gets away. And that Jarrod sometimes "gets the girl", and that Miss Parker beats up on her one lacky guy. I can't remember his name, but she only calls him by his last name. And I love that Miss Parker's dad hooks up with that bimbo. And that Miss Parker's other brother loses his thumb. And then steals someone else's.

I. LOVE. THAT. SHOW.

Oh yes I do!

 
At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang Jayleigh, um, maybe Daph hasn't seen all of that yet? ;)

There were a few shows that X and I would religiously catch. Pretender was one. It did make me want to find out the final big mystery, but it got so large by the end that it just couldn't go on.

I agree with others, great character shows: WWing, Firefly. Also, for some reason, in the earlish 90's was a BBC show called Lovejoy. Great characters! Lead is Ian McShane of HBO Deadwood fame.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Rick, I have heard that west wing is a good show. I might take a look but usually court room/politics stuff irks me. Still there is a huge following to this show so there must be something there.

Kim, Buffy is cool. When Little Man was born everyone asked me if I got his name (real name) from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was puzzled so I went to my aunt's house and watched and episode. I liked it. I have seriously contemplated buying those too.

SA, I have heard about Firefly through fellow sci-fi geeks. I LOVE sci-fi. That show didn't last long though, right? I like sci-fi so much I bought Roswell. I hope it is good. It should be here today thanks to Amazon.com

Anonymous, Solin is that you? The kitty face has me wondering ;)

Jay, I am so glad I am not alone in my obsession. Jarod is one heck of a man and I love the fact that he has a sweet tooth. Now that is something I can understand. I also like the flash backs with the teen Jarod and Miss Parker. Those kids are way cute.

FH, Jay didn't spill anything to me. The only thing that is bothering is does Sidney ever tell Jarod that he loves him like a son? That is pissing me off and I feel like Sidney is a cold hearted bastard for treating Jarod so callously. As you can see, I have gotten too involved. LOL I have never heard of Lovejoy or Deadwood. I will look them up on imdb.com today!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

i don't watch tv either daphne apart from 3 shows: family business, weeds and all csi's. Incidentally, can't wait to see the newest episode....is that a new face I see joining the team???

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

hey net mom thanx 4 the comments and email and yes mikey is like a greek god! im sorry i forgot about them pics u ask 4 until i seen your email. forgive me? sendin u some southern love!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home