Thursday, August 25, 2005

Bingo Calling Days

I used to be a bingo caller. I must say that I really loved my job most of the time. I had to deal with a few dishonest workers and some really crappy bosses but overall it was the players that I enjoyed being around and made it worthwhile. Most people would think that only lonely old women play bingo but I saw all sorts of people playing. Some funny people I remember most were the Chinese grad students. I think bingo was the only english word they knew. They got so excited and yelled bingo too soon EVERYTIME. There was this big huggy black man named Bobby who would yell so loud everyone would need to change their batteries in their pacemakers after he won. I loved him so much. He was always so supportive and kind. Then one time this whole group of late 30 somethings came in with a birthday boy. This guy had just turned 40 and for his birthday they took him to a cemetery, a retirement home, Luby's (the local buffet frequented by senior citizens), to play bingo and then bought him geritol and Depends undergarments. Nice 40th b-day present eh? I miss watching old ladies fight over chairs (thats my seat! you know I sit there!) and showing me pictures of their grandkids. In particular, I miss one player that died. She was married to an old actor who was in a lot of James Bond movies and John Wayne movies. He died over 20 years ago but she still dressed to impress. Such a cute little red head and sweet as honey. She was 81 when she died. She brought me homemade chocolate covered strawberries and pretzels. She also shared my love for See's candy. It was more than a player/ worker relationship because we did things together away from bingo. I am glad she had a full life though. She deserved every bit of happiness. When I get old I want to be happy and pleasant to be around just like her. She never talked about her "ailments". She was always ready for a party. I do miss meeting people like the ones I just mentioned but at least with my new job I can work at home and not smell like I just smoked 10 packs of cigarettes. This is important for a non-smoker.

blessing for the day: rain

4 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

Wow, what a lovely post, and I was so ready to say so many profound things, and then I found the piece de resistance, and must comment on that instead...See's. Yum. I knew there was a reason I like reading your posts. :-)

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

What is See's candy, what's it like, we don't have it here in Canada I don't think.

I have had jobs like that. The kind where you take something away with you and remember it always.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger steve said...

Hey do me a favor and send a prayer over to Rebekahs Site.
www.rebekahspage.blogspot.com

They are facing some tough decisions on radiation and could use some support. Tell 5 new people about her! Thats my challenge today!Thank you and God Bless!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Ohhh I love old people like that! So sweet to be around and the stories they tell.... just awesome.

I just learned to knit back in the winter from a 90 year old customer of mine at The Pharmacy. She is so funny and crochety and old, but very nice to me, and she LOVES showing off her handiwork!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home