Friday, August 19, 2005

The Dumbing Down of Daphnewood

I have been out of school since May. It is amazing how easy it is to let your mind slack. I find myself forgetting the names of psychologists who conduct certain studies. Like who is the woman that does all those poverty studies usually centered in WV? I think her name is Mary something-or-other. I hate that I cannot give her proper credit. How am I ever going to get into grad school if I have already forgotten a modern psychologist that has shaped current trends? I suck. And I can tell that if I had to write a term paper I would not be able to do it in one sitting. That is a Daphnewood trademark! I can always push out a righteous first draft in one shot. Then revision is so minor but now, I know I would fail miserably. I had to take off this year though. I could not afford the out of state fees just in case I got into a Master's program instead of the PhD for one, but the main reason is that my son needs surgery. It is intensive and skull based and very dangerous. I'll blog about it some other time. He cannot hear very well in one ear but hopefully by the end of this year his hearing will be completely restored. So I guess dulling my mind is a very small price to pay for the health of my son. I feel better now and not so dumb. I made a very wise decision.

6 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

omg best wishes to you and your family. i hope the surgery goes well. You so deserved the break, don't beat yourself up about it.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Kim said...

You made a very wise decision, a decision that any mother would have made.

I must admit, I'd dumbed down a bit too since my college days. After a while, it gets to be very liberating!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger SunGrooveTheory said...

Yes, that is the worst thing about taking time off. Don't worry, it'll all come back, just like riding a bicycle.

My friend, Pammy, was born without a left ear. I've known her since she was around four. When she was six, I guess that was almost 14 years ago now, she had surgery so she would be able to hear. Later, they even were able to construct an ear for her- for cosmetic reasons, really. Well, now she has it, can hear, and is absolutely gorgeous. It is amazing what modern medicine can do, and I'm sure you will be happily amazed with your son's results as well. :)
::hugs::
S.G.T.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger kimananda said...

One of the good things about taking a break is that it is such a good feeling when you get your abilities back again. And it sounds like your decision was the absolute right one.

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank god for Google. Any innane search yields results.

Skull surgery? OMG. Kids are more important than most things, 'cept for chocolate I think ;)
k

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

You are so loving and giving of yourself to these children, and you won't regret this fallow period. In time, you'll realize that you remember the last name of Mary Something-or-other, and you'll also realize that the information doesn't matter one bit to your son. :-)

HUGS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home