Friday, August 05, 2005

Texas Sayings

I am going back to Houston this weekend and in the spirit of all things Texan I thought I would share some phrases a person might hear of they ever visited the state. Texans, feel free to add your own to this very incomplete list

How are you today? I'm as fine as frog's hair! or Happy as a hog in mud!

said to a disheveled looking person: You look like you've been rode hard and put up wet!

It sure is hot today! Yeah, it's hotter than a stolen tamale!

He is mean. Meaner than a skillet full of rattle snakes

He is stupid. About as sharp as a mashed potat-uh or He has a big hole in his screen door

That lady is fat. She is one corn fed country girl. (this has been used to describe me! God help me)

Well that is all I will write down for now but occasionally I might add more to the side bar. There are so many that just roll off the tongues of Texans and it is so amusing. They are so creative. Anyway, I could talk the ears off of a cow so I better end this blog right now. I couldn't resist adding one more.

6 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Rowan said...

yep, never heard any of those round these parts. I like em though especially the hung up to dry bit.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Does it ever rain like a cow p*ssing on a flat-rock?

My friend Paul is from Austin and always says he's as fine as frog's hair. I didn't know it was a regional thing. lol

Also, when asked to describe myself, I ALWAYS say I'm a corn-fed country girl. I only mean that my red hair is rarely styled in a manner you'd see in a magazine, my freckles take over my face in the summer, and I don't mind getting dirty. I love to drive by cow farms because to me it smells like HOME. So you can say it about me anytime and I'll take it as a compliment.

Have fun back in Houston!!!

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger SunGrooveTheory said...

ROFL!!! These are Great, Dapne!!

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Jayleigh, my husband always says that flat rock one! I always get visuals in my mind when he says that one. eeewww!

Jodster, my husband says there are 2 kinds of people in the world: 1) Texans, 2) those who wished they were Texans. I just roll my eyes at him when he says that. I once asked him what did that make me since I wasn't a Texan and didn't wish to be one. He winked at me like all Texans do and said in his best drawl "ma'am, you're a Texan by injection"

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Twerpette said...

I like phrases like "Whee dowgies!" and "Boy howdy!" and "fixin' to" and "fussin' at."

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's one I say all the time.
"You're as hot as a whore in a church"
meaning you're extremely nervous

 

Post a Comment

<< Home