Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Surprises On The Library Shelf

Lately I have been reading a lot of books. I read some good ones and some bad ones but all of them have been for pleasure. It seems odd reading books that are not textbooks, just purely fiction. This past weekend I read a book called Shooting The Heart that was very odd. It was written in the mind of a schizophrenic so you can imagine how disjointed it was organized and how time was not linear. Normally I would have read some textbook of schizophrenic cases but it was neat to read about it from the other side of the coin even if the account was purely fictional. Now I am reading a Stephen King book called The Gunslinger which I have never read. I do like his stuff but for some reason I have never picked up this book. I was tickled to find out that it is a series of novels so I should be busy for quite a long while. Has anyone ever just grabbed abook off of the library shelf and ever been pleasantly surprised? Please tell me any book you read by pure chance and enjoyed.

Oh, I cannot end this post without commenting on The DaVinci Code. It was such a disappointment to me! I mean it was good but everyone was building it up. I felt it was trying to clutter to many things in. And seriously, what is the big deal if Jesus had a wife and kid? Does that make his message any less potent? I just don't understand why that would be such a scandal. Whatever. So anyway please tell any surprise readings you have encountered. Or even some that were terrible. I like to know about books that aren't on the bestseller list too. Sometimes those truly are the best books of all.

5 Comments:

At 6:35 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

i agree mom the davinci code didn't do anything 4 me either was he tryin 2 say that mary and jesus was married and the whole virgin mary thing was a hoax and joseph was really jesus brother i dont know all 2 confusing anyway mom i love 2 read.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Al said...

I picked up "Relic" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child on a whim, and now have read every one of their books, and look forward to each new release.
I thought "The DaVinci code was way over rated. It wouldn't have sold half as many copies if the Ultraconservative Christian Right hadn't made such a big deal about it.
My Cynical side asks if they get royalties or something (OOOHHH bad Al, bad AL)

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

I thought the Code was alright, but I kept comparing it to Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco. That I would definitely recommend. Otherwise, I have read so little these past months. I look forward to seeing what others suggest, to get me inspired to read some more.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember the first book I read by this author but something about it appealed to me. I like mystery, detective stuff, strange twists and turns and the bayou settings of his books. James Lee Burke. One of his books, Heavens Prisoners, became a movie starring Alex Baldwin, Kelly Lynch, Mary Stuart Masterson, Eric Roberts and Terri Hatcher. I went on to read just about every book he wrote.
The book you read sounds really intriguing. It is so great to have that pick-a-book-off-the-shelf-and-love-it experience!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

I haven't read any of the books you mentioned, but I am GLAD you have enjoyed reading for fun lately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home