Thursday, March 09, 2006

Skittles, Hawk and Memories

I had a bag of Skittles last night. This candy has become my candy of choice in recent weeks. I think the lemon are my favorite or the strawberry. Anyway, after 'tasting the rainbow' I watched another episode of Buck Rogers. Okay, I still think Gil Gerard was way HOT and I like men with a little hair on their chest but the show had its faults that I was never aware of before. In the first season, Buck kisses a girl in EVERY single episode. Then in the second season he is more 'fatherly' to the people he helps. The second season had a better Buck but a sucky storyline. Plus, I was introduced to Hawk, the man with feathers for hair. How could I forget about Hawk? I LOVED Hawk as a kid.

I know you are wondering why I am babbling about this but it made me wonder how many memories do I have stored in my brain that are vivid and alive, but just not accessed? I remembered very clearly the episode where Hawk's wife died (she also had feather hair). When people develop brain disorders they often lose short term memory and only have their "old" memories to wade through. Most are quite happy to live in the past too. Have you ever been reminded of something (pleasant or not) that suddenly jumps to mind and it is as alive as it was the day you experienced it? I would be curious to hear any other stories from you all. Of course many of you are youngsters and probably have no clue to what I mean about OLD buried memories. But please, share away if it has happened. I am quite interested.

3 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger Al said...

As I like to put it "The storage system is flawless, hoewever, the retrieval system seems to have broken down". Sometimes a certain smell or sound will bring back certain associations so clearly that I get lost in the moment.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

The other day, Rob and I were walking through Home Depot looking for trim boards for the addition that's almost completed. I walked past a display and stopped, breathing deeply in, and asked Rob if it reminded him of anything. He said no.

But it reminded me of a time when I was certainly less than 5 and my sister, brother and I were playing and we emptied the toybox and I got inside. I hid there for a little while, and when I got out, some neighbor kids were over and we played with tinker-toys.

The smell of the toybox inside was the same smell as those boards at Home Depot.

Weird.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

aww c mom great minds think alike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home