Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Pagers and More

I was really shocked to see that people had no idea that pagers were still very much used. I am not sure about the "outside world" but in the medical world they are constantly used. Dear Rowan stated her husband uses them in his profession. So does mine. Mr. Daphnewood has an alpha numeric pager. I can send him text messages anytime of day. He can be in surgery and the pager will accept the message. Only in the case of heavy walls (x-ray, MRI, etc) the page won't go through. All doctors have cell phones too but in the O.R. it's a no-no. They have in-house cell phones that are specially made to not interfere with any equipment but no one uses a phone to call outside the hospital (while in the O.R.) unless an emergency has arisen. Pagers don't mess with anything and therefore are indispensible to the medical community. Every doctor has a personal pager assigned to him/her but some departments have a department pager as well. So for instance, if Mr. Daphnewood is on call that night he has his own pager as well as the neurosurgery department pager. Not fun. I can tell you his life is NOTHING like E.R. I like to think that I am what makes his life glamorous and exciting, not his job.

3 Comments:

At 5:58 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

and I'm sure you are!

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My momma uses a pager, too, I always ask her if she's a part-time drug dealer, though. She works for the goverment, so most cell phones are blocked once inside. Kinda funny.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

;-) I guessed that people still used them, but with the prevalence of cell phones, I don't see them around much anymore.

And you ARE what makes his life glamorous and exciting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home