Thursday, May 04, 2006

Little Man the Sneaky Has Leg Pains

Little Man needs to have some blood work done. He gets leg pains and feet pains at weird times. They are so bad that he cries. The thing about Little Man is that while he is a very sensitive child and can be hurt by words, he is no wimp. I have witnessed him smashing his finger in a car door and not shedding a single tear. He has cut himself with blood dripping out of the wound just to say "hey Mommy, do you have a bandaid?" His pain threshold is high. So we are just getting an idea of what is going on with his young body and starting with blood work.

If you remember recently he had to get the MMR vaccine. He was brave and didn't cry but he had an allergic reaction to it. His arm got huge and swollen and very red. He didn't like that at all so he is wary of needles now. So all this week I have been trying to get him over to the lab to have his blood drawn but he has an "excuse" everyday. He tells me that he is having testing done and cannot miss it, or they are having a contest for 'no tardy tuesday', or he really wants to eat breakfast at school for a change. Well it is thursday and I finally caught on. Yeah, I am getting slow in my old age. We are going this morning to have the blood drawn. Isn't he just the sneakiest kid ever?

9 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, good luck with the testing and I hope it will be nothing serious for your boy. Yeah, I can understand him making excuses. At my age I still make excuses to not go to the dentist, etc.!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Al said...

Kids are the biggest manipulators ever. After all, they can't intimidate you, they can't take charge of the situation, and they can't run away from it. What is there left but manipulation? V. is a master.
Good luck on the blood work. Probably just "growing pains", I hope

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger SunGrooveTheory said...

Hee heee that is sneaky!! But it is much more clever than crying about not wanting to "get a shot." He's so smart! :)
Do you think that the leg/foot pains are just growing pains?

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Aww I hope everythings ok with the Little Man

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Rowan said...

unfortunately no sneakier than mine...I have been given a bit of a wakeup call myself recently, and it took a trip to the dr's to do it too!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Vickie, I am sure it is nothing serious. I think that my family gets above and beyond medical care because of Mr. Daphnewood. In fact, the doctor (he was very good) told me that "even if [Little Man] wasn't the son of a neurosurgeon" he would order the blood work just to rule certain things out. But the fact that he mentioned it makes me wonder if that was true. And I still make excuses too when it comes to unpleasant tasks.

Al, you are so right. Kids have to find some way to bring a little control to their world. I think it is growing pains but they have been pretty severe this year. I just kind of worried because he is so non-wimpy when it comes to physical pain. We all have our weaknesses though.


Sunny, Little Man is pretty clever. He uses those big brown eyes too. He was a little mad at himself because it turned out that getting his blood drawn was 'no big deal' to him. In fact he was very interested in how it squirted out into the tube. I think he is having growing pains but I like paying that $20 co-pay (not).

Mikey, thanks so much. I am sure he is fine. Mr. Daphnewood is just so over cautious.

Rowan, I have known all along you had your hands full. Your kids are brilliant. Good luck staying one step ahead!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Good luck with the tests... it's so scary, thinking about all the ways vaccines can go wrong.

btw, I re-wrote the lost post. And thanks for bearing with my crappy comment system. The one thing I always try to do is highlight and copy my text to the clipboard in case that happens.... anyhoo.....

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

You have a lot of medical stuff going on at the moment! I'm sending well wishes to you all!
:-)

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Jayleigh, blogger has it share of troubles too so I understand. I will go check out the new post!

Kim, my family goes through these spurts of medical overload. It has been over two years since M-Boy's last surgery and Little Man wouldn't even be going to the doctor if it weren't for the hubby knowing that a certain type of bone cancer likes to surface in 8 year olds that begins as "leg pains a lot like growing pains". Having a doctor in the house has its benefits but also it has its drawbacks too. This being one of those. BTW your blog is looking awesome lately. It makes me want to do something with my own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home