Monday, July 17, 2006

Because Etchen Asked

*asked from previous post

Etchen asked what a Monte Cristo sandwich is so I am going to explain. First of all, if there were such things as a perfectly evil food, designed to kill the human race without them knowing it doughnuts and Monte Cristo sandwiches would be it. Doughnuts are deep fried sugar. Where is the nutrition in that? We keep going back for more though, don't we? Monte Cristo is a slightly upgraded doughnut.

It is a sandwich that sounds like it would taste horrible but it is really really good. It is a sandwich with ham, turkey and cheese in triple decker mode. Then the sandwich is dipped in a batter and deep fried until hot and the cheese is all melted and bubbly. After it comes out of the oil, it is dusted with powdered sugar and served with raspberry preserves. I spread a bit of the preserves on each bit, just a hint of raspberry that way. Like I said, it sounds gross but it is so good if you like deep fried food. Unfortunately, I do. Bennigans sells it but it is kind of greasy there. Disneyland has the best I have ever tasted. There is a restaurant within the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and that is called the Blue Bayou. Go there for the best Monte Cristo in the country.

9 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Rowan said...

oh wow!
that sounds so delicious I have not heard of this either.
yummy will have to try, that is if I'm not dieting at the time that I get teh chance.

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some monte cristos. I only have them after i go running b/c they're so bad for you. But, yuuuuuum, now I want one.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

YUMMMMM

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD! THE CAFETERIA IS SERVING MONTE CRISTOS TODAY. Buh-bye diet, I'm eating bad today.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Beth, thanks for stopping by. I had no idea how pricey the food had gotten inside the park. It has been a couple of years for me. I still think that everyone should experience eating at the Blue Bayou just once though. It is so hidden and not an attraction that many visit when going to Disneyland.

Rowan, it is definitely not a diet food. Usually, even for fatty me, when I eat Monte Cristo, I abstain from all other food for the day. It is that calorie packed. And I have never been served a Monte Cristo that was small (meaning I always have leftovers)

Boozie, I cannot believe your cafeteria sells those things! My cafeteria suh-ucks! I am glad I only have to make cameo appearances at the hospital every now and then. BTW, if you go running after your meal today, be careful of the heat. Just watchin' your back for ya ;)

EG, heart attack food is right on the money. Like I said, it is a perfect way to kill humans without them even knowing and maybe even the humans will go willingly too

Jay, words really do it no justice

SA, Bennigans out there in Houston sells it but they use American cheese and wheat bread. I like white bread and swiss cheese on my Monte Cristo. Still, it will pass. And the preserves don't negate the deep fried effects at all. Ever had a funnel cake at the rodeo with berry syrup? It's like that.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Chipper said...

OMG, I am salivating as we speak! I am now on a quest to find out where I can get this in my area, if I can't then I am running out this weekend to buy a deep fryer. Mmmmmm....
FYI what kind of batter do you dip it in? Like pancake batter or a egg and bread crumb batter, or egg and milk?

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger James Medhurst said...

That sounded great until you got to the raspberry preserve part. I think that may be a step too far!

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't take a picture of my sammich because it was rather disappointing. NOt even powdered sugar! It was mediocre, but better than what i brought from home ;)

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger The mini ninja said...

I'm so proud to say that I know what the Monte Cristo is! Tried it once at Bennigans. Not bad, but I'd rather eat the salty with the salty and the sugar with the sugar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home