Sunday, July 09, 2006

I Was Surrounded By Jerks

Last night I took the family to a baseball game. We watched the KC Royals play the Toronto Blue Jays. Mr. Daphnewood and I had so much fun at the Houston game a few weeks back when we went to Minute Maid Park so we wanted to show the kids how fun it could be. It was awful. Did I care that the Royals lost? No. Did I care that the stadium was an outdoor stadium and it was 90 degrees? No. The game experience was terrible because of the fans! I could not believe how rude these people were. I thought I was in NYC for a moment.

Here are some things that fans screamed:

You do know where the strike zone is, don't you Elarton? (this was said on the very first pitch of the game)

Berroa, lay off of the Canadian beer!

You lazy bum! You could have got that ball! Hustle next time!

Hey ump, this is America. Quit calling that Candian strike zone.

Sanders you idiot! Stay down for a play like that. How could you drop the ball? (this was yelled after a player smashed into the wall and hurt himself)

Hit him again! Bean him harder next time!

All of these, except for the umpire comment were directed at the home team. The team that these fans supposedly supported. There were other obnoxious things yelled like "retreat!" instead of "charge!" and instead of "Let's go Royals!" they yelled "We want Donuts!" Just really lame immature stuff that I was shocked by. I had to lecture my children after the game about poor sportsmanship and how fans like that ruin the baseball experience. When the crowd cheered after someone got hurt, I knew I was with a different breed of baseball fans. I don't care which team a player is on, it is a game and no one should be happy when someone gets hurt. However, the fact that the fans cheered when their player crashed into the wall somehow seems worse in my eyes. This city doesn't deserve a winning team. I will try to watch again someday but never on dollar hotdog night again.

I will post pictures later. M-Boy had the play of the game when my totally un-athletic child was smart enough to stand up and get out of the way when a foul ball headed up into the stands.

6 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

**hugs**

Too bad you were in the middle of a bunch of Bozos. I cannot wait to see the pics!!!

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

Oh, no! What an awful experience...ball games should be about fun, and relaxing and enjoying the game no matter who is winning, or how the players are playing.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daph-sports, obviously, is more likely to attract more aggressive types than some other activities. It's also possible folks are taking out their frustrations in general on the team. I know Kansas Citians can be rude; I've lived around them all my life; but I sense just in general a real frustraton with life issues that people don't know how to handle. If you watch the news the crime rate is unbelievable. I only see things getting worse. You know where I work, and I see/read/find out about many things the public in general don't!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

thats a shame about the unsportsmanlike behaviour! That pretty much sums up why to this day I hate all sports

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Jayleigh, I am going to try again and pay a little more for my tickets. Maybe I will be surrounded by people that love the Royals instead of love watching them struggle.

El Guero, I have no idea why they are called the Royals. I should find out. Maybe it has to do with their uniform-royal blue.

Kim, it was very trying for me. My kids are not outdoorsy as it is and this was not helping. But in every situation, there is a lesson to be learned, right?

Vickie, I know what you are talking about. My husband worked at a level one trauma hospital in Houston before coming here. He says he is SHOCKED by the amount of gunshot wounds to the head he gets compared to Houston (a city of about 5 million). That is such a violent attack. Also, I ate lunch with a KCK officer and his wife and he told me stories that just made me cringe. Still, this city is glorious and has so much beauty. I think the people overall are nicer than any other place I have lived, just not at the baseball games ;)

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Rowan, I think what really bothered me was these jerkish people were there with their children!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home