Thursday, July 13, 2006

Little Man and Music

I love my son. He is smart, energetic and just so darn cute! But even he can sometimes surprise me. Little Man loves music. I think it is healthy for children to immerse themselves in different sounds and I have given him lots of types of music to listen to. When he was just an infant he would not go to sleep unless he had Tom Petty playing. Not a typical bedtime lullaby but it worked like a charm. I had Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" playing and he knew the song immediately. They had taught him at school and I was very pleased.

Lately, he has been hearing Baba O' Riley by The Who everywhere. Of course he calls it "the CSI:NY song". He asked me if I had the song on my computer (I did) then asked me to play it while he bounced on my bed. If you are not familiar with the song, it starts out slow. He scrunched up his face and said "Is this it?" I told him yes, just listen, it will get faster. As the song progressed he told me EXACTLY what he heard "the piano thingy that plugs in" (keyboard), "the piano and now electric guitar" ( I nodded that he was right) "oh now drums!" then his eyes got real big "and cymbals!" My gosh, this kid knew them all. When did he learn his instruments? Am I to believe that PUBLIC EDUCATION taught him this? the ARTS instead of sports? Wow, maybe I will not mind so much when I write that check this year.

oh, one more thing. Little Man asked me to print out the lyrics so he could learn the whole song. Now I have this 8 year old singing about teenage wasteland. Maybe not such a good lesson but sometimes parents have to give in a bit.

4 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

I know! My son hated the car as an infant, but the only thing that instantly worked and worked everytime to soothe him was Our Farewell by Within Temptation. I love that he didn't go for the general run of the mill: "all the pretty little horses..." or something.

I love that song btw... :D he's got great taste. I call it the CSI: NY song too

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that song on my "who's Next" cd. Had it on the 'Who's Next" cassette and the "Who's Next" album. I am totally impressed with your son for many reasons, not the least of which is that he knows his instruments and appreciates great music!!! You go boy!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

Ha! I didn't know who the song was by--I only knew it from CSI. He sounds like an absolute joy to have around!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

I loved my music class in middle school where we were taught to listen to a song several times to hear all the different melodies, harmonies, rhythms, instruments. That's wonderful they are teaching it to him at such a young age. :-)

You have awesome kids and they have an awesome mom!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home