Friday, June 23, 2006

Am I Getting Ripped Off?

Mr. Daphnewood bought two new white doctor coats. He is a big guy and doesn't like the tapered kind. He has a rounder physique and thinks the tapered coats with belts make him look "girly". Remember folks, he is a Texan through and through. Anyway, I took these coats to the dry cleaner this week. He told me to take them to a local place. When I walked in, I saw no posted prices. Nothing. Nada. Nothing on the windows either. It was a small business but he likes to support the locals that way. So I dropped them off and took my ticket home. When I picked them up (two days later!) the price for the cleaning with heavy starch was $15.40 after taxes. Doesn't that seem excessive? They were lab coats! No fur lined collars, no leather cuffs, no golden zippers, just plain white lab coats. I think I am getting ripped off. I think the guy saw the coats and said "Oh look, a doctor and neurosurgeon to boot! Let's make a killing!" Am I freaking out over nothing? Is dry cleaning just that expensive in Kansas? I know even the shirts are more to clean too. I miss the $.94 men's shirt same day cleaning in Houston. Where is a Dry Cleaning Planet when you need one?!

6 Comments:

At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drycleaning is incredibly expensive here. But if you shop around and someone else gives you a better price, I'd go back to the local place and tell them. Give them a second chance to rectify their poor pricing strategy.

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

ill have 2 ask my mom what it goes 4 here but im thinking coz they think its a doctor coat they think money.

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't use the dry cleaners real often, but I do think the costs have gone up quite a bit. As Jaleigh suggested if you shop around you might find a better deal, but I think you should just be prepared that what you did pay is going to be pretty close to what you'll find elsewhere. Looks like we'll have a good weather weekend; I hope it will be an enjoyable one for you. This will be the kind of weekend to get out and about and enjoy the area!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Jayleigh, I think I should have asked before dropping it off but Mr. Daphnewood said that was the place. When I told him how much it was he said the one by the hospital is MUCH cheaper. So guess what? He is taking care of his own dry cleaning from now on he he he

Ryan, I really got that feeling when I dropped it off and against my better judgement I didn't even ask how much it would cost. I am still kicking myself over it.

Vickie, I never use them myself unless I have dress to wear over the holidays. So once a year is about it for me. I was wondering if the Missouri side was a bit cheaper but then I would be wasting gas. *sigh* I can't wait for the weekend. Have a great one in all that good weather!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger kimananda said...

I have no idea what dry cleaning should cost, but that does seem quite expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost the same in California though...but shouldn't things be cheaper in Kansas?

And, totally unrelated, apparently my brother was in your fair city a very short while ago to attend a wedding. He sounded quite postive about the place...and said particulary that it was not a place for vegatarians (which he isn't, but I've been in the past). Any chance for a post, maybe with photos, about barbecue?

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

My lab coat is cleaned for $8.00 with extra heavy starch and the ones that have the special fire proof coating on them are $10.00(which I don't know why b/c they don't use starch on them, but I guess since they have to hang them dry instead of steaming them, it's an extra $2.00) *Sigh* I definitely think this place of yours is a ripoff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home