Thursday, October 13, 2005

Flashback Friday: BFF

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Some friends are meant to last a lifetime. My best friend from high school is still a part of my life. We don't talk much anymore but she is the type of person that you get together with and it is like no time has passed at all. We connect just as we always have. I will just call her "Paca" because I do not want to invade her privacy. But her real name is an unusual name just as is her personality. She kept me laughing through some sad times and opened a strange world to me of punk rockers and fashion. She was voted best dressed in high school and deservedly so! I was her short, fat friend with wrinkled shirts but we did everything together. Well us and our 4 other friends. We were a group of six known as The B. G.'s which stood for "big girls". We laughed a lot. Did I say that already?


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



My friend is a respected art history professor. When we were teenagers she indulged me by painting this replica of a movie poster. It was called The Courier and the actor is Gabriel Byrne. I loved all things Irish. She even went with me to Dublin. Of course I had to go to London with her. Ireland was better. Neener neener neener.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



I never wore makeup. One time I was making fun of the music she listened to where the "singers" wore such heavy makeup. Examples being The Cure, The Damned and other weird groups I cannot remember. Oh yeah, the Toy Dolls. "Ah Olga! I cannit" Anyway she made me dress slutty with black eyeliner. Wasn't her room cool?!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Some people will always be your BFF (best friend forever) through distance and time. Acid wash jeans and Doc Martens will always bring her to mind. That and INXS. You know why, Paca!

6 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

Hey, you are only slightly younger than me, aren't you? That's the same music I was into at that time. And I also went for the dark eyeliner look when I could be bothered to put it on (my goal was not the slut look, but the very pale goth thing). It looked better on you than it did on me, to be honest.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

what's wrong with black eyeliner? I still wear it...is that out of date now? oh no!

I want another pair of Doc Maartens. THey were the most comfortable shoes/boots I ever owned and lasted longer than any other pair I've owned before or since.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

When were you in highschool then? late 80's early 90's? Anyway, I wanted to say I tried very hard to stay in touch with highschool friends, but they became assholes. Etiher that, or I grew out of that time of my life and they hadn't yet. I realized we had notohing in common once we'd left home and grew up. Sad, but true. I now have no friends really except my friend Draven from HS, we don't see each other often, but try to keep in touch as much as possible. LIfe! arrrgggghhhh! I love that last picture, the both of you are so beautiful in it. Nice to be in a club, I"ve never been in anything.

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is always something very special about high school friends...something about that time of joy and innocence in our lives. I know my BF from high school and I are still friends basically b/c we blackmail each other with photos of each other wearing high bangs, jelly shoes and jeans that were french rolled! ;-)

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

i love your flashback fridays, the pictures are always fun! i think you look very cool with black eyeliner :) i laughed a lot at school as well, there are so many funny memories! good times :D

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

I *adore* my old size 10 acid washed jeans. MAN that was a long time ago. Maybe I'll post a pic on my blog. hehe

Great pics, and a great tribute to your friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home