Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Role of Television in the Daphnewoods

I mentioned yesterday that I did not have TV. What I meant by that is that I do not have cable nor network television capabilities for viewing. We have three television sets with DVD/VCR players attached so we can enjoy a movie sometimes. The best part is usually we all watch it together as a family since the TV sets are on so infrequently. It has been this way since Mr.Daphnewood and I got married. It started with our move to Berlin, Germany (nothing to watch except AFN over there). By the time we got home to the states we realized we didn't miss it and never got cable. My children watch about an average of 3-5 hours of television per week. However, October-December is usually a little different. My mom moved a few years back and she very much missed watching television at night time. After 2 years of living with us she was really looking for something. I suggested she buy some DVD's of TV shows. She asked a friend who told her to buy "24". She did buy it and loved it. But she was upset that she would have to wait a year before the second season would be released. I told her that I had read somewhere that CSI:Crime Scene Investigation was a good show. So she bought Season One. I said I would watch it with her since it wasn't a soap opera type of thing; each episode could be viewed independently. That way I would not have to watch it. I was hooked after Disc 1. We bought season two and three and moved on to CSI:Miami. We bought Season One of that then Season Two along with Season Four of CSI. I could decide which I liked better but overall I think Miami is the best for my tastes. Horatio Caine likes kids. Grissom is kind of lost around them and Sarah just irks the hell out of me. I do not like her character AT ALL. Anyway, October 18th is the release of CSI:NY. I have pre-ordered it. We are a science household, what can I say? Here are the shows I have purchased for viewing enjoyment:

CSI:Crime Scene Investigation Seasons 1-4 (Season 5 is available November)
CSI:Miami Seasons 1-2 (Season 3 available November)
The Simpsons Seasons 1-5 (I haven't watched all of these though- only a few episodes)
Tru Calling (substandard to the CSI series but still a good watch but I hear FOX network is like that)
Unsolved Mysteries Ghost Stories
Twilight Zone (for collector's sake)

and my mom has watched every season of "24" that has been released. Desperate Housewives does not interest me based on its name alone. Sounds really horrible. Lost was sounding good but very soap opera-ish (meaning you have to watch them in order NO THANKS) We haven't bought either of these shows.

So that is my life in concerns to television. I watch some from October through December. Once we watch all of the episodes the TV sits idle for a while. Many people think I am weird. You don't, do you?

8 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Oh Dave, I'm sorry! I just meant that there is no way I want to get hooked on a show that is like a cliffhanger. That can put a crimp in your day. Lost actually looks interesting to me but I would hate hanging on the edge of my seat waiting for the next episode. That is why I won't watch 24 with my mom. Desperate Housewives, well as a housewife I take offense to the title and theme. I didn't mean to say icky to your wow. :(

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

Weird? Hell NO! I LOVE CSI, only Tv show I watch anymore, rarely watch tv as a matter of fact. We're also big movie watchers, I own near 300 dvds. Not to brag tho', just wanted to point out just how many movies we watch, we're a couple of couch potatoes. Anyway, THANK U! FiNaLlY someone else said it! Sarah is an annoying bitch who always states the obvious, cannot act, and has this smug face on her all the time, plus I hate the gap in her teeth which i find distracting and irksome. I like all CSI, mind you, I like the original Las Vegas the best, Gil is a loveable old coot, and I LOVE Warrick he's the epitomy of beautiful.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger ElovesU said...

Lost is great im on disk 5, but ive just recently got hooked on queer as folk...its good because i have to hide the fact that i watch them from my mom cause, she doesnt accept my gayness....anyways rent lost and queer as folk, and im sure u will not regret it...also check out my blog we have some common interests

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I don't think you are weird at all. Actually, for the longest time I limited myself to 1 hour of tv a day, and that was because I was a college student and couldn't afford giving up more time for tv. I read a lot of books instead.

I didn't want to watch Desperate Housewives either because of the name, but I jumped in during the 3rd week and have been a fan ever since. It's actually really funny, and they aren't that desperate in the true since of the word. I know I was thinking 'desperate-trashy-cheat on my husband while he's at work', I was sooooooooo wrong. Well, except for Gabrielle, she did that.

Anyhow, gotta love Lost! I wouldn't miss a single episode!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

try will & grace what a great show. i would also say er and doc all on dvd and great shows.

thanx 4 the well wishes net mom!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger M. Damian McNicholl said...

I think you are to be applauded for keeping your kids away from the mindless thrash that masquerades as entertainment on TV today. Wish there were more parents like you. I bet you listen to NPR. Having said that, I will say I LOVE 'Rome' on HBO.

BTW, I lived in Berlin too--in Wedding which was the Brit sector. Studied at the Goethe Institut. What a great city--especialy the Kreutzberg section.
Cheers

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know what? My boyfriend is just like you. He loved the British version of "The Office" and I told him about the American version. Well, it was on last night, so I made him watch it, but first we sat through "The Biggest Loser" and "My Name is Earl." When it was all over with, he said, "THIS is why I hate television." Yeah, it's pretty stupid, I agree, but I like stupid sometimes :)

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

wow it's impressive that you manage to watch so little tv, i on the other hand watch loads when i am at home and miss it a lot when i'm at uni! i get addicted pretty easily, couldn't live without charmed and the oc!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home