Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Traumatized

Today is the end of an era. Santa is no more in this house. I never realized how sad I would be about it all. Many of my Christian friends do not tell their children about Santa with the claim that it is a worldy construct *cough-cough* (bullshit) *cough-cough* Then some of my "educated" friends do not include Santa because they feel it is a lie and parents should always be honest. Again *cough-cough* (bullshit) *cough-cough* I am not trying to judge anyone on their views so don't get offended if any of you take this stance. I just happen to see things differently. I think Santa is FUN and magical and can be used to teach Christian values. It makes Christmas amazing for young children. I have pretty smart kids and when Mouse was just a wee girl she asked how could Santa still be alive? So basically for years we have the ghost of Santa visiting our home. He leaves only 1 present for each child. The rest are from mom, dad and relatives. Santa also fills the stockings. M-boy is autistic as you all know, so I have been able to stretch the fun out until now. He is 12 (almost 13). Mouse has known for years but does not want to ruin the fun for her brothers. Well Little Man asked straight out "Is Santa real? The kids at school say it is parents that leave presents." then M-boy pipes up "yes, Mommy, is Santa real? Audrey said it is parents too" Oh my heart broke. I had three choices: 1) come clean and tell them the truth, 2) lie my ass off and 3) ignore them. All of my training and education says Santa can be healthy and enriching for children but when they ask, be honest. So I was honest. I asked a question first.

Me: So what do you boys think?
Little Man: I think Santa is real. He haunts our house and leaves presents.
M-Boy: I want him to find me something Atomic Betty (M-boy is always in his own world)
Me: well you both know that Santa was a real man. He gave presents as a symbol. What do the presents mean?
M-Boy: it means it is Christmas
Little Man: He is happy about Jesus
Me: yes he is happy that God gave us Jesus so we give each other presents like God gave the world the best present of all:Jesus! *big sigh*
Me: *another big sigh* so you know that I never lie to you guys and you did ask me so I want to tell you the truth. Mommy and Daddy are the ones that put the presents under the tree. But I am only telling this to you now because you asked and because it is important to keep the spirit of Christmas going. Someday you will have kids of your own and you have to do the same. You have to be Santa for your own kids teaching them that Jesus was a gift from God. Just because you know it is me that puts the presents there and fills your stocking doesn't mean that Christmas is any less magical. If you look all around you can see miracles and love.

There were more questions and they seemed really happy that I told them. Then right before we headed out the door to school Little Man asked "Mommy are you the Easter Bunny too?" I almost cried. I feel so traumatized.

4 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

Ah, poor you! I can feel the trauma. Santa is part of the excitement, as you said. I'll now try to cheer you up with a silly (and rather long) Christmas story. Or maybe it won't cheer you up, as there is no Christian message at all, just gifts. But it is also a 'cool Mom' story if that makes it any better.

One year, we (Mom, my at that time very young brother and me) spent Christmas in Phoenix with a good friend of the family. I was very concerned that of course if Santa saw that we weren't home, then he wouldn't leave us any presents. My mother said he would. The trip progressed normally, but I was worried the whole time about Santa. Then on the drive home (which I have no memory of, but it must have been LONG) my Mother spent the whole trip expressing doubts as to whether Santa would really have left presents...getting me to apparently spend the whole trip defending Santa. And when I got home...Santa had been there, and all was well with my image of the world! What can I say - it had to be Santa...who else could have done it? :-)

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Hey NetMom
I still believe in Santa Claus don't spoil it for me:)

When you get time could you put me and sexy in your links. You know who Im talking about right?

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Oh!!! Girl you are making me cry! When I remember this from a child's prospective, it's not sad at all. But looking at it from a parent's point of view, it's an end of innocence that came much too soon.

Bless your heart for being such a wonderful mom, and for telling the truth when they asked. **hugs**

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Whisper said...

Oh, this is something else, mum. you should have done what my uncle does:
Uncle: Hey, Otter(Meh youndest brother.) think Santa's real?
Me: Oh yeah, the nose thing, chimineys, the whole thing.
Uncle: Really?
Me: No. He's pulling it all off, and knows it's you.
Uncle: No! He believes in Santa, you don't know what you're talking about.

Uncle: Hey, Otteryou believe in Santa, right?
Otter: - Giggling, being pampered. - Yeah! Santa gives me presents!

Okay, fine. I'll admit, the things from the bible weren't introduced until a long time ago. but it's fun while it lasts. ^^ To get us to go to sleep, he used to run outside, shake some of these bells, they really sounded like Santas bells would. Well, we caught him one night, was hilarious. >.> Santa's the best. Psh. Who can beat slipping down billions upon billions of chimneys in one night? Not the Easter Bunny. >.>

 

Post a Comment

<< Home