Thursday, June 15, 2006

Paid Interpreters

Okay, I got this email the other day about a vacation in Mexico. It was really bad. I admit I laughed at parts like when the dad says "they better!" But mostly it was chock full of stereotypes and at the end pretty mean spirited about "crappy cars". The reason I bring this up is the interpreter topic. Why do we have to provide an interpreter for people that do not speak english? This is not just Spanish speaking individuals either. If the native tongue is not english, law requires we provide an interpreter in most settings. I know in the medical field it is required. And the hospital or doctor has to pay for the expenses NOT the patient. Does that seem fair especially since most do not have insurance and the doctor will not be compensated anyway? At the school my son attends, they have parent teacher conference days and one day is set aside for those that need interpreters so the school can hire them and bring them in at minimal cost (one day only). Why? Yes, I think we should try to understand other languages and help foreigners adapt but HIRE interpreters? I think the ones needing it should foot the bill. Just my opinion y'all.

5 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger James Medhurst said...

I don't think that schools and hospitals should have to pay for interpreters - it would be better if they got some support from the government. However, if I was having an operation, I would certainly want to know what the doctor was saying.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

definately the ones needing it should foot the bill!

we do not yet have this lovely law in canada....I would be very annoyed indeed if we did.

thank gawd we just ignore those that choose not to speak in our native languages.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

I'm not sure about this one...I've heard a lot of talk on foreigners in Denmark type forums where people are really upset and take it as serious discrimination when people in hospitals, etc. here don't speak English, but only Danish (this may seem odd, but my experience is that doctors never seem to have any English, and their receptionists really don't have any English). It's seen as a right to have interpretation services, and for the foreigner not to have to speak Danish. These are in some cases people who would have the same opinion as you about the situations you describe. I feel essential services should be available to those who need them, and that includes interpretation services. Otherwise, those who can afford it will get the treatment they need, and those who can't will be even more disadvantaged.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Al said...

I see two things here. One is Tourists. I would not expect them to learn English so they could come here to spend their money. They should be accommodated, but they should also be charged or have their own interpreter.
The second is foreign residents. Anyone who resides in a country should have to learn the local language well enough to hold a basic conversation. I would not expect to go live in Mexico and not speak Spanish.

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site Provigil message board Tvs cock Free discount merchant account London five star hotel information about the valentine one radar detector http://www.quality-diamond-jewelry.info/Make_a_string_bracelet.html guidelines& best practices for letterhead stationery manitoba resorts Breitling bentley motors multifunction watches

 

Post a Comment

<< Home