Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Progress

I know I talk a lot about autism on this blog. I only knew a little about it before M-Boy was diagnosed. It seems nowadays in western cultures, many people either have a loved one or know someone with autism. I think a major difference between autism and other disorders, such as Downs Syndrome, the spectrum is much wider. What I mean by that is autism can be so mild that people hardly notice or it can be so severe that no one can reach the autistic individual. No two autistics have exactly the same characteristics. M-Boy is considered "high functioning". I really hate those words. I don't know why. They just bug me. If you watched the video of M-Boy talking about his surgery, you probably noticed his odd speech patterns or the way he says certain words. This I think separates him from his peers the most. However, I have noticed lately a change. He is saying short sentences like a teen. I know I shouldn't be happy about slang but for a person with a communication disorder it is progress. Like last night he said "hey mom, there's a firefly!" The intonation was perfect and he used a contraction! It seems so small but for this mom, it is huge. I am doing a terrible job of explaining it all. Just be happy for him. I am.

7 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

u know net mom i had problems growing up and still have some of those problems my mom always said honey your not different your unique and your my baby boy!

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

Yea, M-Boy! And yea Daphnewood! :-)

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Al said...

My sister adopted a little boy with Asberger's Syndrome. It has been a joy and a struggle for her. Good work for the both of you!

You get a gold star on your report cards, both of you.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger James Medhurst said...

Autism is very commonly misunderstood. It is a developmental disorder which means that most people (at the high end anyway) learn most things eventually, only later. I'm still learning every day and I am 31.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Rowan said...

the school when I was 4 thought I was autistic I was sent for mucho psychological examinations. I don't think I was autistic, my parents refused to continue the testing after a time, but I will admit I was extremely disconnected from other people to the point of fearing them...I still am to some degree but not like when I was small.....I used to pretend I was invisible and hope that I was.

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daphne that is soooo awesome. I really don't know much about autism, but I know it can be trying for the child and the parents until they find out what works and ways of treatment.

Any small victory is still a victory. Rejoice! :-)

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

Yeah M-Boy! I'm happy for both of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home