Thursday, September 14, 2006

Just Some Things On My Mind

I have been doing a lot of piondering lately. Mostly because of things I have read on various blogs. Here is what I have been thinking. Feel free to jump in with your views at anytime!

Television
I haven't had cable or network TV since becoming a mom (1991). Well I did have AFN in Germany but then when we moved stateside in 1993 we never installed TV. I have a televsion and DVD's but I think it is nice to not schedule my life around the tv guide. I do buy CSI and Simpsons on DVD but that is it. I have never seen an entire episode of Friends. I have seen a few Seinfeld episodes at other people's homes. Those are funny. But I know so many people who cannot sleep without the tv on. That is just freaky to me. Maybe I am the freak. I did kind of wish I had ESPN earlier this year but not anymore. I just pay for my Astros games on MLB.TV.

Marriage
I am 36 years old and at one point in my life I thought that I knew what women wanted out of life. I have learned that I only know what the THIS woman (me) wants out of life and only sometimes. Women are so different nowadays. I just wanted a man that would be honest and loyal but now, I have met so many women that are the primary bread winners of the house and want a man to stay home with the kids. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just different. It's just not what I am used to. However, with 65% of all college graduates being female, the power switch was bound to happen.

Religion
Americans are religious people. No two religions are exactly the same yet none of them are that far off from each other either. I wonder why people fight about it so fervently? I learned about Mennonites this afternoon. Nice pleasant branch of Christianity but pacifism is a big part of their doctrine. Not me. Fry those suckers in Huntsville. Okay maybe I am not that wicked but I do believe there is a time for peace and a time for war. Right now, I am getting sick of war. Totally, completely and utterly sick of war.

*edit* not all branches of Mennonites are pacifists. See Tim's response. Sorry Tim!

Humor
Where would the world be without it? Why can't some people laugh? I just don't understand those people that find every joke ever told offensive. My gosh, life must really suck for those individuals.

Steve Irwin and his death video
on youtube.com people put up bits of video footage of stingrays and claim it is the Steve Irwin death video. Then they rip people apart for wanting to see something like that. They call people sick and horrible for wanting to see him die. I don't look at it that way at all. I know when I saw all of those people die WHILE NEWS CAMERAS FILMED them jumping out of the twin towers I cried like a baby yet I couldn't look away. It seemed to me that if I looked away then I wasn't bonding with the person. Like they weren't alone in their final moments. Oh I am sure there are some sick people who just like to watch people die but for me, it isn't that at all.

enough pondering for today.


5 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Just a couple brief comments. You mentioned about some husbands staying at home and the wife going off to work. One of my brothers and his wife followed that pattern for many years because his wife could earn more money than he. But eventually, they went back to the more conventional pattern because they didn't want their sons to grow up thinking that they didn't need to work for a living.

And as for Mennonites, do you know that there are Mennonite churches in Europe who no longer hold to the peace position. Also, here in America especially when the military draft was still in force, there were a number of young Mennonite men who chose to serve in the military forces. In some Mennonite churches, these young men lost their membership; but other Mennonite churches still accepted them as full members. So I guess what I'm saying is that we can speak in generalizations about any denomination and be generally correct; but that there can be a great bit of fluidity in specifics to specific churches and individual people.

I think this got longer than I planned.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Daphnewood said...

Tim, I am sorry. I was speaking in very general terms. Not all Baptists have the same doctrine just as not all Catholics do. I think most people understand that. I was just thinking how nice the Mennonite doctrine (in a broad sense) was and close to my views except for the pacifism. I really like their views of women in leadership roles in the church. (They support it and don't send them to the back of the church) he he he

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your ponderings have been interesting, Daph. When I was a young woman I wanted it all. Career and family. I'm a professional journalist, something I wanted to be since I was a kid. I only had one child-just was not mean to happen to have more. I know now that I would have liked to have spent more time while my son was younger; but feel fortunate my mom was there to baby-sit while my husband and I worked. My husband was in construction at the time and during lay-offs he took care of our son and did stuff around the house.
I think I could survive just fine without tv. It's sometimes good entertainment, but reading, hobbies, inter-acting with family and friends and other stuff are great substitutes. Many people make the delberate choice to not have a tv and it seems to work quite well for them.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Al said...

When we were in Mexico there was no TV, no radio, no cell phone signal. When we got back, I turned on the TV and 20 minutes later turned it back off and thought "I really don't need to know any of this stuff"

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Rowan said...

I didn't have cable tv from 1994 to 1998. doesn't seem that long in retrospect, but other than my weeds, csi and many MANY movies, I don't watch the idiot box at all. I want to see the death of steve irwin. Call me sick. I think in this day and age, our wants/needs out of marriage are all individualistic, but so long as they match our husbands, does it matter really? I think I'm pretty traditional myself, but I've been the major bread winner before, and I've been the supporting cast member (like right now) both have thier good points. I like to think I have a good sense of humour, certainly not offended by much at all. I'm pretty off colour here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home