Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Art: Hard Work and Dangerous

Knottyboy put up a new video of him and Tony doing Raku. This is dangerous stuff! My small little mind was challenged about artists in general. When I think of "artist" these words come to mind: tempermental, skinny (they are all starving), weird, passionate, party-goers and drinkers of exotic wine. I never thought "master of the flame". No gay jokes here even though K said something about 'flamers'. That reminds me of Homer Simpson who said: "I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaming" but I digress. So being me I did research and talked to some of my artist friends to ask them what their whimpy art includes thinking K and T have the market on danger and hard work. Sorry boys, but apparently most art is a life of danger or at least toil. My friend had to use a loom for many many hours to make a small table cloth and she said it hurts your back leaning over for hours and she got lots of blisters on her hands "but the colors and textures you can make are fablulous!" Another told me he uses a blow torch for his metal sculptures. His wife doesn't like that but his sons think it's cool. I am going to call my friend in CA who is an art professor and see what she has to say about art. Anymore artists out there with stories to challenge my preconceived ideas? So far no one has challenged the tempermental title or the weird title.

4 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Rowan said...

What/how does flaming apply to gay? Can you use it in a sentence? I don't understand, at least, I've never heard the expression before.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

My "art" consists of fiber (yarn) and sticks (crochet hook) and it's not in the least bit dangerous... unless I suppose I had been itching my ear with the hook and slipped a little.

Anyhoo.....

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must be the oldest queen on the planet to find someone who hasn't heard of "flamers or flaming" as a description of gays LOL. I guess there is a first time for everything :)

I totally agree, art is toil. Toil can be dangerous or injurous in some way, shape or form. The women I learned jewelry design from has arthritis so bad in her hands now, but she keeps trudging along. Art drives you to use your body to create. If you burn off some hair or loose a finger along the way...well that's part of the price for great art.
k

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home